I had to take Small Person 2 Of 2 to the Doctor’s Surgery today. We’re not registered at the same surgery, so their routine was new to me. I waited patiently (pun intended!) to see the receptionist to let them know Small Person 2 Of 2 was there. I stood there for more than five minutes becoming anxious that we were going to miss our slot as the doctor wouldn’t know we had arrived whilst two receptionists chatted about whether or not they could book an appointment for another patient to see a doctor some time after the next three weeks of Public Holidays are over!
Not once did either receptionist check with me whether I was there to book in, having just walked in from outside, or whether I was there to make an appointment. I’m not about to have a go at receptionists as I know one of the readers of this blog holds a similar position (but don’t worry, dear reader, this wasn’t your surgery). However, I do feel that one of them could have taken a moment to tell me they had a self check-in touch screen on the wall round the corner from their desk.
Fortunately for me, I watched another patient enter the building and disappear round the corner. I could just see her tapping at something on the wall. Realising what she was doing, I followed her and checked in with 30 seconds to spare!
If, however, I had known that self check-in existed, I would have missed the very sign that initiated this latest post.
Whilst standing at the reception desk, I noticed a small clip on the front of the desk. It was positioned approximately 3 feet off the ground. Just below that was a sign titled CUDDLE. Below the title were three photographs of the clip and instructions on how to use it.
- Place base of walking stick on the ground immediately below this CUDDLE clip.
- Push the stick forward until it clips into the holder.
- To remove, pull stick away from holder.
I kid you not!
The manufacturers blurb about the clip says it all:
Give Your Customers a CUDDLE!
Having no place to securely rest a walking cane means that your clients can be vulnerable at key transaction areas or where proper hygiene requires that the cane is held away from potential sources of germs.
The answer is to give them a CUDDLE. It’s that simple! And it is truly effective!
* The CUDDLE is easy to understand and easy to use. People using walking canes will love it. Cane In. Cane Cuddled. Cane Removed. With no more staff being needed to pick up fallen canes, service times at the Post Office and Bank will be accelerated. And that’s a saving.
* The CUDDLE kills germs on contact! Injection moulded in PC\ABS, the CUDDLE employs POLYGIENE within its construction. A revolutionary new anti-microbial product from Sweden, POLYGIENE is active in the CUDDLE throughout its entire life. It doesn’t wear away, no matter how often it’s washed.
* The CUDDLE is easy to instal (sic). It takes around 3 minutes to fit one. Ideal if you have a rolling maintenance programme.
* And the CUDDLE is not expensive. Delivering these benefits for the average cost of a smaller print cartridge, the CUDDLE is affordable as part of any accessibility budget
So there you have it! If you want a cuddle, they are just under £20.00 and don’t forget, the cuddle will be hygienic for life! 🙂